CH01 – Measurement
- P4 – Tuesday, January 9th
- P5 – Tuesday, January 10th
- P7 – Wednesday, January 11th
Fall Semester Closure
- Final grades still hidden in Schoology (sorry)
- CQ will answer questions about the final after returning
- return LNB to students (shelf behind teacher desk in classroom)
- grading rubric for final (formal) lab of semester in each LNB
- Note: not all labs will be formal
- standard ruler (metric side only)
- meter stick A (tape on both sides)
- meter stick B (standard metrick)
- Object 1 = note card (width)
- Object 2 = student shoe
- Object 3 = table top (width)
- lab notebook
- You will work in table pairs, with each student recording the results of the measurements in their own LNB.
- Each pair wil be using each of the measuring devices to determine the length (cm) of each object.
- the goal of each measurement is to do your best to use the device within the limits of the device.
- The goal is not to get the “right” answer” but to get the best answer using the available tool.
- Write all of your work in the LNB. You do not need to write a purpose, procedure, or background theory for this actvity. This is not a lab write-up!
- Do your best to create the best organized table with proper labeling.
- There will not be any Calculations, Analysis, or Conclusion for this activity.
Discussion Questions (write questions and answers in LNB)
- In thinking about the measurements, how are the measurements of the same object using different devices similar? different?
- What is the most challenging aspect of this activity?
- Without doing any research, what do you think is the difference between the following terms? uncertainty / error / accuracy
- textbook notes (pen / pencil on paper)
- Chapter 1 (1.3 & 1.4)
- what is important in each of these sections?
- what examples best illustrate the core ideas?