CH12 -Pulling Together
- P1 – Friday, September 23rd
- P3 – Thursday, September 22nd
- P5 – Monday, September 26th
Recap – Worksheet
- ionization energy trends
- other connections on the worksheet
Review for the Exam
Unit 1 Objectives (Ch. 1, 2, 3)
- Classify matter as compound, element, mixture or solution
- Explain the Laws of Definite and Multiple proportions and how they are applied.
- Explain the development of the modern atomic model through key experiments.
- Describe the basic structure of the atom.
- Calculate the number of protons, neutrons, and electrons of a given isotope or ion.
- Calculate the atomic mass of an element given its isotopes.
Unit 2 Objectives (Ch. 7)
- Calculate the wavelength and frequency of an electromagnetic wave.
- Calculate the energy of a quantum of photons.
- Calculate the energies of the levels of the hydrogen atom
- Determine the spectrum of an atom given their energy levels
- Explain the meaning of the four quantum numbers associated with an electron
- Write the quantum numbers that describe an electron in an atomic orbital
- Write the full electron configurations of an atom or ion.
- Determine the electronic configurations of isoelectronic species
- Explain the relationship between electron configurations and the periodic table
- Predict the number of valence electrons of an element and its electron configuration based on its position in the periodic table.
- Using the idea of shielding and effective nuclear charge, explain the trends in ionization energy and atomic size across the periods and groups of the periodic table.
- Arrange ions in order of increasing or decreasing ion size.
- So, you want extra practice problems?
- I suggest that you pick a problem from the list below that matches
- Since the answers are provided on Schoology then you can check your work as you go
Unit 1 – Practice Problems
- Ch. 1 (79, 83, 84)
- Ch. 2 (20)
- Ch. 3 (42, 44)
Unit 2 – Practice Problems
- Ch. 7 (39, 41, 44, 51, 57, 59, 74)
- Ch. 7 (81, 83, 85, 87, 90, 91, 92, 101)
- Ch. 7 (105, 107, 109, 114, 115)
- Study for exam on Tuesday / Wednesday
- Please see me if there is a conflict