CH03 – Black Box
- P3 – Tuesday, August 30th
- P1 – Wednesday, August 31st
- P5 – Friday, September 2nd
- recap chapter notes – thoughts?
- let’s create shared GDrive folder
- NOTE: this is our first LONG BLOCK! Yeah!
Activity [Part A]
- what are the major steps in atomic theory development
- [Schoology documents]
- identify scientist / theory
- what did each take from previous?
- what did they get right?
- what did they get wrong?
- summarize on a chart [LINK]
Activity: Black Box [Part B]
- The purpose of this lab is to determine the nature of objects inside a closed box, without opening the box.
- The goal is not to guess what is inside the box but to describe what it must be like inside the box in order to account for the behavior inside the box.
- By moving the box in many different ways, observe the sounds, and feel of the objects inside the box.
- Make appropriate observations and conclusions based on these activities.
organize your information in tables
- Record an observation each time a different manipulation is made.
- Test any theories that might arise by devising new things which can be done to the box to discover its contents.
- Repeat this as often as is necessary to make a detailed theory.
- Use this to record observations [LINK]
- Draw a theory of what is inside (share to folder)
- why are we doing this activity?
- what is the scientific method?
- what process is being modeled?
- observation (recognizing or noting a fact or occurrence) vs Inference (a conclusion based on observations)
- create and share a Google folder
- note: name = period-first-lastinitial
- ex: 3-Colin-Q
- Also, finish the worksheet/activity
- share the documents within newly created shared folder