Chemistry Honors – Class 17
- Periods A, C – Friday, September 27th
- Period D – Monday, September 30th
- Write down your home address – why is this unique?
- Elements (within atom) have unique address
- Defined by Four principal Quantum Numbers
- n = principal quantum number
- l = shape quantum number
- ml = orientation quantum number
- ms = spin quantum number
- Rules for allowed values
- n = 0, 1, 2, 3…
- l = 0 to (n-1)
- ml = +l to -l (including all digits in between)
- ms = +1/2 or -1/2
- write a table that includes all of the QN for first three energy levels
- how many different possibilities exist?
- what patterns exist?
- how might they relate to the Periodic Table?
- meaning of “l” quantum number
- Showing Orbitals
- The Orbitron
- putting it all together – orbitals, quantum numbers
- Ch. 11 Notes: 11.9 – 11.10
- Ch. 11 (29 – 44)