Physics Honors – Lab 05 – Two Dimensional Motion
- The purpose of this lab is to determine the acceleration due to gravity using two-dimensional motion concepts
- Students are given a GLX data device and a photogate timer
- NOTE: students will need to be coached on the settings of using the photogate timer with the GLX
- A ball is rolled horizontally off of lab table.
- Its initial velocity and horizontal displacement are recorded, along with the height of the table
- Multiple trials are conducted, gathering “x” vs. “v” data
Notes & Processing
- The first step is to solve the two-dimensional motion problem for “a” in terms of the knowns, “v” “x” and “h”
- once this is obtained, this answer can be re-arranged to fit the form of the “y = mx + b” for a straight line.
- This form will show the expression that can be used to relate the data to the theoretical
- The scatter plot will generate a best-fit line, whose slope can be then matched to the theoretical