Necessary Conditions to Effectively Leverage Technology for Learning
- Shared Vision – Proactive leadership in developing a shared vision for educational technology among all education stakeholders including teachers and support staff, school and district administrators, teacher educators, students, parents, and the community
- Empowered Leaders – Stakeholders at every level empowered to be leaders in effecting change
- Implementation Planning – A systemic plan aligned with a shared vision for school effectiveness and student learning through the infusion of information and communication technologies (ICT) and digital learning resources
- Consistent and Adequate Funding – Ongoing funding to support technology infrastructure, personnel, digital resources, and staff development
- Equitable Access – Robust and reliable access to current and emerging technologies and digital resources, with connectivity for all students, teachers, staff, and school leaders
- Skilled Personnel – Educators, support staff, and other leaders skilled in the selection and effective use of appropriate ICT resources
- Ongoing Professional Learning – Technology-related professional learning plans and opportunities with dedicated time to practice and share ideas
- Technical Support – Consistent and reliable assistance for maintaining, renewing, and using ICT and digital learning resources
- Curriculum Framework – Content standards and related digital curriculum resources that are aligned with and support digital-age learning and work
- Student-Centered Learning – Planning, teaching, and assessment centered around the needs and abilities of students
- Assessment and Evaluation – Continuous assessment, of teaching, learning and leadership, and evaluation of the use of ICT and digital resources
- Engaged Communities – Partnerships and collaboration within communities to support and fund the use of ICT and digital learning resources
- Support Policies – Policies, financial plans, accountability measures, and incentive structures to support the use of ICT and other digital resources for learning and in district school operations
- Supportive External Context – Policies and initiatives at the national, regional, and local levels to support schools and teacher preparation programs in the effective implementation of technology for achieving curriculum and learning technology (ICT) standards
- How do these conditions match what are present at your current school setting?
- Do these conditions make sense to you?
- Which ones are the most essential to success in implementing technology in your school?